font | large font
Saskatoon City Hospital
701 Queen Street, Saskatoon, SK S7K 0M7
Main Switchboard: 306-655-8000
Saskatoon City Hospital is located on Queen Street
and 7th Avenue in Saskatoon, adjacent to Kinsmen Park.
Saskatoon City Hospital (1909), the first municipal hospital in
Western Canada and the second in Canada, was originally located
on 6th Avenue North. Soon after plans were made to build a larger
hospital on Queen Street. Demand for hospital beds continued to
grow and by 1927 the “West Wing” accommodated 122 beds.
In 1930, an “East Wing” with 150 beds was constructed.
A nurses’ residence was also built adjacent to the hospital.
As the City of Saskatoon grew, so too did the hospital. In 1950
three stories were added to the nurses’ residence, called
the “centre block” and in 1958, this became the main
hospital with 330 permanent beds, and capacity, though crowded,
for 675 beds. The hospital underwent many other renovations and
additions in its 75 year plus history.
Eventually however, with changing needs of residents and a need
to upgrade the building and equipment, the present Saskatoon City
Hospital was built and officially opened on October 16, 1993 with
patients moving in on December 13, 1993.
Saskatoon City Hospital is home to the SaskTel
MRI Suite, and the future Breast Health Centre. City Hospital also
has the Eye Care Centre, Geriatric Assessment unit and large gynecology
and rehabilitation units and is one of the few acute care hospitals
in Canada to house a research centre - the Cameco MS Neuroscience