font | large font
St. Paul's Hospital
1702 – 20th Street, Saskatoon, SK S7M 0Z9
Main Switchboard: 306-655-5000
St. Paul’s Hospital is located on 20th Street and Avenue
P in Saskatoon.
St. Paul’s Hospital Mission, Vision And Values
St. Paul’s Hospital is an acute care teaching facility offering
a comprehensive range of services to residents of Saskatoon and
Northern Saskatchewan. Inspired by the example of St. Marguerite
d’Youville, we continue the tradition of Catholic health
care by sharing in a call to reveal the goodness and love of the
Creator God for all people. Together with the Grey Nuns, we work
to build a world where hope and compassion prevail.
The vision of St. Paul’s Hospital is aimed
at strengthening our internal
relationships, working in harmony with Saskatoon Health
Region and the
formation of new relationships with community-based agencies and
within the communities we serve.
- Respect for All
Dignity, honesty, integrity, empowerment, trust, and the belief
in the worth of all
- Collaborative Partnerships
Working together with Saskatoon Health Region,
the community and the
individual, interdependence, collaborative decision-making.
- Compassionate Caring
Honour and respect for life, advocates for the voiceless, creative
response to unmet needs.
- Holistic Care
Connectedness, value and acceptance of the whole person, with
special attention given to the spiritual dimension of care,
of family and significant others.
Prudent use of available resources, focus on results, accountability,
fairness and equity and ethical decision-making.
History of St. Paul’s
The original St. Paul’s Hospital (1907)
was first located in a physician’s (Dr. John
H. C. Willoughby) house. The hospital was established due to an
typhoid, which occurred while the Canadian Pacific Railroad was
building a bridge in Saskatoon. The bridge was located downstream
from the town garbage dump (where the Bessborough now stands).
Contaminated water from the garbage dump eventually led to a breakout
of typhoid among the workers. Catholic priests cared for the sick
in the Catholic rectory, and in Dr. Willoughby’s house. A
group of Grey Nuns passing through Saskatoon on their travels,
stayed to help.
A hospital was eventually opened in 1913. In 1963, the current
B-Wing of St. Paul’s Hospital was built and owned by the
Grey Nuns. A-Wing was added in 1989. St. Paul’s continues
to compassionately offer quality health care to residents of Saskatoon
and northern Saskatchewan.
In 1995, St. Paul’s Hospital entered an
affiliation agreement with Saskatoon District Health, now the Saskatoon
Health Region. In 1999, the Grey Nuns transferred ownership
of the hospital to the Saskatchewan Catholic Health Corporation.