The Quality Improvement modules build your skills with using Lean tools, as well as a final capstone presentation. You will receive a certificate at end of the Capstone module to commemorate all your hard work!
The Quality Improvement Modules do not need to be taken sequentially; however, this is the suggested sequence.
The Quality Improvement Overview is a quick reference to the modules and the lay out.
Step 1: Foundational Modules
1. Daily Visual Management (DVM) will help you understand the purpose of DVM and its role in supporting improvement.
2. 5S will cover the five steps of 5S and be able to complete a small 5S in your area. As well, you will learn about the importance of the audit process for sustaining 5S results.
3. Value Stream Mapping, Current State focuses on creating a current state value stream map (VSM). You will learn the purpose of VSM and their role in guiding strategic and daily improvement.
4. Value Stream Mapping, Future State focuses on analyzing your current state and create a future state VSM.
5. Standard Work and PDCA
will focus on how to improve a process through using Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) cycles. You will learn how standard work and work standards support an area in maintaining improvements and reducing errors
6. A3 Problem Solving*
is a step-by-step methodology of engaging staff and patients/clients/residents in identifying, analyzing, monitoring and collaboratively addressing issues that negatively impact health care delivery.
Step 2: Additional Modules
7. Kaizen Events and Sustaining Improvements will explore the role of the process owner and the audit process. The module will also focus on sustaining improvement, the audit process and how it links to daily visual management.
8. Visual Control and Management will build on what you've learned in previous modules. In particular, it will dive deeper into concepts related to visual workplaces such as creating visual tools and using visual management.
9. Optimizing Flow will focus on how to reduce waste and optimize flow. You will learn about the seven types of flow and develop an appreciation for how they work together.
10. Mistake Proofing will explore methods for mistake proofing to improve patient safety. You will learn how to do root cause analysis.
11. Capstone Module provides an opportunity for you to reflect on both the theory and your own practice of the concepts, as well as your learning journey.
12. Safety 101 is an introduction to both patient and staff safety in the workplace.
*Non-LILT Module (Lean Improvement Leader Training)