Balance, Posture and Fall Facts:
- Feeling dizzy, lightheaded or feeling as if the room is spinning around you are signs of balance problems if they occur frequently.
- Balance problems are a common reason seniors see their doctor.
- Good balance means being able to maintain and control your body's position. A health sense of balance helps you:
- Walk without staggering
- get up from a chair without falling
- climb stairs without tripping
- bend over without falling
- Balance is important to help you get around, stay independent, carry out daily activities and reduce the risk of a fall.
- Falls are caused by a loss of balance or being unable to recover your balance.
What you can do:
- Keep notes on your balance problem: what it felt like, what you were doing at the time, how long the imbalance feeling lasted
- Talk to your family doctor about it. There can be many causes of balance problems and dizziness. Appropriate treatment is based on a diagnosis of the cause of the problem.
- You may be referred to a Physical Therapist for assessment and treatment, depending on the diagnosed cause of your balance problems. You may be sent for tests to determine the cause of your imbalance.
- Exercises to improve balance and posture can be very helpful.