Be Active (Physical Activity)
Facts on physical activity and falls:
- Regular physical activity is the best thing you can do to reduce your risk of a fall.:
- Activity can be done on your own or with a group.
- Activity tailor-made to the individual and done at your pace is important, and it should be something you enjoy to do!
- Get the "go ahead" from your doctor to start a new program if you have health problems.
What you can do:
- Choose an activity that you enjoy.
- Choose activities that:
- build leg strength and ankle flexibility
- Improve balance, coordination and walking patterns (gait)
- Improve flexibility in all of your joints
- Increase stamina and endurance
- Recommended include: Balance training (Tai Chi Chuan and Yoga), strength training with weights or resistanve, walking, dancing and Tae Kwon Do
- Be aware of your posture; sit, stand and walk tall!