Nutrition and Fall facts:
- It is estimated that 30% of older adults living independently in the community suffer from malnutrition.
- Health eating and getting enough fluids are important for overall wellbeing, muscle strength, energy, coordination and stamina.
- Dehydration can lead to dizziness and falls.
- Vitamin D and calcium are important for muscle strength and bone density, thereby reducing the risk of falls and broken bones.
What you can do:
- Eat a variety of vegetables, fruits and grain products every day.
- Protein, either from plant or meat sources is needed daily. Women: 2 servings, men: 3 servings.
- Do not skip meals.
- Drink enough fluids that your urine is a pale yellow (yes, check the color of the toilet water after you pass your water).