Facts on Mobility Aids and Falls:
- Many older people choose not to use canes, walkers, walking poles even in the face of balance problems or difficulty getting around. Remember, pride goes before the fall!
- You may be using the wrong equipment, using equipment improperly, or using equipment that is not safe or not in good working conditions.
- the right mobility aid for the right person used correctly and in good working order can dramatically improve independence and safety!
What you can do:
- Talk to your doctor, physical therapist, occupational therapist for recommendations about mobility aids for your use.
- Get a lesson on how to use and maintain your mobility aid. Your physical therapist or occupational therapist can help you.
- Ask about funding sources to help you cover the cost of leasing or purchasing equipment if necessary.
- Make sure your equipment provider is knowledgeable and will assist your to adjust the equipment specifically for you!
- Take any second hand equipment for a "check-up" to make sure it is right for you and in good working order. not all garage sale deals are good ones.