Community Safety Facts:
- Falls occur in public places, buildings, shopping areas, streets, parks and homes of other people.
- Sidewalks, curbs, crosswalks, parking lots, entrances to buildings, stairways, getting on or off a bus or getting into and out of your car can have hazards.
- Falls can occur anywhere we are, if we are not careful and watchful.
What can you do:
- Be aware of curbs, changing levels and slopes of the sidewalk and at building entrances.
- Try to use footpaths if possible. Be cautious on rough ground with loose or uneven surfaces.
- Stick to well lit paths if you can
- Be aware of cyclists, skate boarders and other fast moving, wheeled people!
- If you use a walker, look ahead for any obstacles in your path
- Allow your eyes to adjust to light changes from outdoor to indoor.
- give yourself time to cross the street; use pedestrian crosswalks when available.
- Slow down, don't rush, take your time, especially if you are not familiar with your surroundings.
- Take your time getting onto and off the bus. Ask the bus driver to wait until you are seated before taking off.
- Contact local government if you see that an area or public building is hazardous. They cannot fix it if they do not know about it.