University of Saskatchewan Genetics (website)
Support Group Resources
Saskatchewan Support Group Contacts
- Fragile X Saskatchewan
- Kabuki Syndrome Network
Dean and Margo Schmiedge
8060 Struthers Cres.
- Klinefelter Contact
Simone Denis has a son with Klinefelter and is available to talk to those who are looking for information and support.
- Little People of Saskatchewan
1228 Henlease Ave.
Moose Jaw, SK
Website: see Skeletal Disorders below
- Saskatchewan Rett Syndrome Association
149 Woodland Ave
Buena Vista, SK
Websites for Health Professionals
- American College of Medical Genetics:www.acmg.net
Educational resources and policy statements on clinical genetics.
- Canadian Directory of Genetic Support Groups:www.lhsc.on.ca/programs/medgenet/index.htm
Maintained by London Health Sciences Center, this website includes a list of support groups, both Canadian and International, for various genetic conditions.
- Center for Disease Control:www.cdc.gov/genomics/default.htm
This site provides information about human genomic discoveries and how they can be used to improve health and prevent disease. It also provides links to CDC wide activities in public health genomics.
- Canadian Association of Genetic Counsellors: www.cagc-accg.ca
Listing of genetics centers across Canada.
- Canadian Organization for Rare Disorders: www.raredisorders.ca
Provides information on over 6,000 rare disorders. Through a network system, CORD links individuals and families with others who have the same rare disorders.
- GeneTests: www.genetests.org
This website contains excellent summaries of many genetic conditions under the heading GeneReviews.
- Genetic Alliance: www.geneticalliance.org
This website contains summaries of various genetic conditions as well as support group contacts.
- Genetic and Rare Conditions Site: www.kumc.edu/gec/support
Maintained by the University of Kansas Medical Center, this website provides a list of several common genetic conditions including information on lay advocacy and support groups, and genetic conditions/birth defects for professionals, educators, and individuals.
- March of Dimes Website: www.modimes.org
Contains thorough Information on pregnancy, teratogens, and a variety of birth defect, including printable "Fact Sheet" on various topics of interest to physicians and patients alike.
- National Cancer Institute:www.cancer.gov
Thorough information on cancer diagnosis, treatments and clinical trials.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Contains Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM), a catalogue of human genes and genetic disorders, with links to literature references and gene maps. Also contains PubMed (a search engine for locating specific articles in current medical literature).
- Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS): www.mothertobaby.org
Comprehensive resource for medical information on prenatal exposures. Provide risk assessment information on known and potential reproductive risks.