Every Occupational Therapist within SHR:
- is licensed, university educated health care professional
- is a member of the multidisciplinary patient care team
- is trained to assess and treat clients with physical and/or mental health issues
- works with clients to enhance and maintain independence in all aspects of their life including self care, productivity and leisure
- assesses for, designs, and provides assistive devices and equipment to individuals to enhance and maintain their ability to independently perform activities of daily living
Occupational Therapists work in a variety of settings throughout SHR.
Occupational Therapists are dedicated to providing quality client centred care, with the ultimate goal of facilitating the highest level of functional ability in clients following injury or illness.
Occupational therapy service includes prevention of complications and assistance to overcome and adjust to the physical and cognitive effects of illness or injury.
Through interpretation of assessment results, short and long term goals of treatment are formulated, reviewed and revised to meet the changing needs of the client.
Occupational Therapists work to enable optimal independence of clients in the occupational performance areas of self care, productivity, and leisure.
In addition to hands on treatment, occupational therapists assess for, design and provide assistive devices and equipment to individuals to enhance and maintain their ability to independently perform activities of daily living.
(adapted with permission from the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists)