Working as a Volunteer
Palliative care volunteer opportunities are provided through Saskatoon Health Region's
Volunteer Workforce department.
As a Volunteer You May Help in the Following Ways:
- Providing companionship - alleviating "aloneness".
- Social interaction with, and providing emotional support to, both patient and family.
- Allowing family members time away to tend to day-to-day events or being available in the evening if family is unavailable.
- Bereavement support. Follow-up is available by trained team members.
- Assisting with community projects, public relations and community awareness.
- Palliative care volunteers are carefully selected and trained in the palliative care program. This training enables them to volunteer at the Palliative Care Unit at St. Paul's Hospital, Saskatoon City Hospital, and Royal University Hospital. They may also volunteer at the long term care facilities, once registered with the facility, or in the community, visiting patients at home.
- Volunteers come from a variety of backgrounds. Most have experienced a loss in their own lives; all have a genuine interest in giving of themselves in helpful ways.
- Volunteers give a commitment of four hours per week.
- Volunteers must attend ongoing support and educational meetings.
How You Will Benefit from Volunteering
- Learn new skills and gain valuable experience.
- Meet new people.
- Enjoy the opportunity to interact with patients and their families.
- Work as a member of a healthcare team.
- Attend educational workshops.
- Feel personal satisfaction in the knowledge that you are truly making a difference. Your unique skills and talents can help make healthcare in your community even more personal.
Steps to Volunteering
There are many opportunities to volunteer with the Saskatoon Health Region in a variety of ways and at a number of different locations.
Volunteers are often needed at these locations:
- Royal University Hospital
- St. Paul’s Hospital
- Saskatoon City Hospital
- Palliative Care Unit
- Parkridge Centre, Sherbrooke Centre and other Long Term Care Facilities
- In the community, and in home settings
- Rural Hospitals and Health Centres
- Rural Home Care
To find the opportunity best suited to your needs and your skills, please see the Volunteer Workforce section.
St. Paul's Hospital
1702 - 20th Street West
Saskatoon, SK S7M 0Z9