Blood Products for Home Administration
Instruction for the pickup of blood products by patients
- Request product by phone from Royal University Hospital, Transfusion Medicine
A current Home Administration Product Requisition (kept on file)
- All calls to Transfusion Medicine must occur during business hours (i.e. Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm excluding statutory holidays)
- Place orders in advance of need to ensure transfusion service can order and receive the necessary product. Orders are best placed Monday – Thursday (orders received on Friday may not be received from the supplier for 11 days).
- For patients in the bleeding disorders program place orders 48 hours in advance of need
- For all other home administration programs place the orders at least one week in advance of need
Personal Identification of the patient
- This requisition is completed and signed by your physician and is valid for up to one year
- Your Personal Health Card or equivalent (health number, first and last names)
- If you are picking up product for another patient, you must have their personal health card or equivalent, first and last name, product type and amount being requested
Notify Transfusion Medicine (306-655-2179) a minimum of one hour
(no greater than 8 hours) in advance on the date of actual product pickup. This will allow the transfusion service time to prepare the product for you. In the event you are delayed and can no longer pickup your product on the prearranged date, you must notify Transfusion Medicine and reschedule.
Routine product pickup may only occur Monday to Friday between 8 am to 4:30 pm, excluding statutory holidays. Outside of these hours the laboratory is staffed to cover urgent transfusion need only. Routine product preparation and release will not occur during evening, nights or weekends.
Transfusion Medicine Laboratory
Royal University Hospital, Room G502
103 Hospital Drive
Saskatoon, SK Canada S7N 0W8