Important Information Before You Order
- Effective November, 2018, the RUH Division of Medical Genetics will no longer be involved in the approval process for genetic testing for providers in Saskatchewan. This is now being managed by the Saskatchewan Genetic Resource Centre (GRC) through the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory at the Roy Romanow Provincial Laboratory (RRPL) in Regina.
- All requests for genetic testing will be centralized through the GRC and will go through a new review process before testing is sent out to an external laboratory.
- If you are looking to order a chromosomal microarray, please go to https://www.saskatoonhealthregion.ca/locations_services/Services/Pathology-Laboratory-Med/healthpractitioners/Pages/chromosomalmicroarray.aspx
- After the Genetic Test Request has been reviewed, the appropriate requisition forms for the chosen external genetic testing lab will be emailed to the requesting physician (and/or their team) to complete for prompt sample send-out.
- All communications with the GRC will be by email at GRC@saskhealthauthority.ca or phone with the lab genetic counsellor at (306)655-6450.
- Requisitions must be completed in FULL, including the ordering physicians name and clinic contact information. If the requisition has a place for a physician signature, you must sign the requisition. Failure to do so will result in the sample not being sent. Blood will be banked until the proper requisition is completed and sent to the cytogenetics laboratory.
- Prior to ordering a genetic test, you may wish to review the Pretest Counselling Information with your patient.
- Ordering physicians are responsible for disclosing and discussing the results of tests they order with their patients. The Medical Genetics Clinic does not disclose results for tests that we have not ordered. If additional genetic counselling or family testing of pathogenic variants is required, please refer the patient to the Divsiion of Medical Genetics and they will be triaged appropriately.
- Additional testing in other family members (i.e. variant of unknown significance (VUS) testing in parents) may be needed to clarify the proband's genetic test results and is the responsibility of the ordering physician. Performing this follow-up testing in the appropriate family members may expedite their priority to be seen by the Medical Genetics team
|Roy Romanow Provincial Laboratory|
Molecular Diagnostics – Molecular Genetics Requisition (including DNA banking)
|Genetic Resource Centre – Roy Romanow Provincial Laboratory|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please note: only the sets of physicians below have been approved to order the specified medical genetics testing.
- For questions regarding collection of blood samples, shipping and handling of samples, please visit the online Lab Services Manual. If you need additional information, please contact the lab genetic counsellor at 306-655-6450 or by email at GRC@saskhealthauthority.ca.
- For more information regarding how to refer your patient to a medical Geneticist and/or a genetic counsellor, please visit here for more information on Medical Genetics, including their services, and available resources.