Saskatoon City Hospital is located on Queen Street and 7th Avenue in Saskatoon, adjacent to Kinsmen Park.
Saskatoon City Hospital (1909), the first municipal hospital in Western Canada and the second in Canada, was originally located on 6th Avenue North. Soon after plans were made to build a larger hospital on Queen Street. Demand for hospital beds continued to grow and by 1927 the “West Wing” accommodated 122 beds. In 1930, an “East Wing” with 150 beds was constructed. A nurses’ residence was also built adjacent to the hospital.
As the City of Saskatoon grew, so too did the hospital. In 1950 three stories were added to the nurses’ residence, called the “centre block” and in 1958, this became the main hospital with 330 permanent beds, and capacity, though crowded, for 675 beds. The hospital underwent many other renovations and additions in its 75 year plus history.
Eventually however, with changing needs of residents and a need to upgrade the building and equipment, the present Saskatoon City Hospital was built and officially opened on October 16, 1993 with patients moving in on December 13, 1993.