Visitor Restrictions at all SHA Facilities
The Saskatchewan Health Authority is asking for the public’s support and cooperation to contain the spread of the COVID-19 illness by following visitor restrictions now in place at all SHA facilities throughout Saskatchewan.
St. Paul’s Hospital is located on 20th Street and Avenue P in Saskatoon.
St. Paul’s Hospital is an acute care teaching facility offering a comprehensive range of services to residents of Saskatoon and Northern Saskatchewan. Inspired by the example of St. Marguerite d’Youville, we continue the tradition of Catholic health care by sharing in a call to reveal the goodness and love of the Creator God for all people. Together with the Grey Nuns, we work to build a world where hope and compassion prevail.
The original St. Paul’s Hospital (1907) was first located in a physician’s (Dr. John H. C. Willoughby) house. The hospital was established due to an outbreak of typhoid, which occurred while the Canadian Pacific Railroad was building a bridge in Saskatoon. The bridge was located downstream from the town garbage dump (where the Bessborough hotel now stands). Contaminated water from the garbage dump eventually led to a breakout of typhoid among the workers. Catholic priests cared for the sick in the Catholic rectory, and in Dr. Willoughby’s house. A group of Grey Nuns passing through Saskatoon on their travels, stayed to help.
A hospital was eventually opened in 1913. In 1963, the current B-Wing of St. Paul’s Hospital was built and owned by the Grey Nuns. A-Wing was added in 1989. St. Paul’s continues to compassionately offer quality health care to residents of Saskatoon and northern Saskatchewan.
In 1995, St. Paul’s Hospital entered an affiliation agreement with Saskatoon District Health, now the Saskthewan Health Authority. In 1999, the Grey Nuns transferred ownership of the hospital to the Saskatchewan Catholic Health Corporation.