About the Environmental Health Department
The goal of the Environmental Public Health Department is to reduce morbidity and mortality due to environmental hazards.
- The Environmental Public Health team includes Public Health Inspectors, Program Supervisors and Support Staff.
- Two Public Health Inspectors are headquartered in Humboldt and the rest in Saskatoon.
- Public Health Inspectors have a mandated regulatory function.
- Public Health Inspectors enforce the Public Health Act, 1994 and Regulations made under the authority of the Act (e.g.: the Food Safety Regulations, the Swimming Pool Regulations, the Plumbing Regulations and the Health Hazard Regulations).
- Requirements in Public Health Regulations have been put in place to protect the health of the public.
- Public Health Inspectors have also been designated as Tobacco Enforcement Officers, for the purpose of enforcing the Tobacco Control Act.
- Public Health Inspectors have responsibilities under the Public Health Act, to abate health hazards. This involves assessing risks and impacts and determining the best intervention.