The role of the Regional Client and Family Centred Care Steering Committee is to lead and support the spread of Client and Family Centred Care throughout Saskatoon and area. The Steering Committee aims to fundamentally change the culture of our relationships with clients and families. This group was established in 2007. Membership includes experienced Patient and Family Advisors, Physicians, and staff.
- Identify Client and Family Centred Care priorities and develop corresponding action plans.
- Develop and monitor key measures and outcomes related to Client and Family Centred Care.
- Collaborate with regional governance committees, operational committees, and department committees, affiliates, and community partners to improve Client and Family Centred Care.
- Maintain registry of all CFCC related activities and resources.
- Build awareness and skills among the Patient and Family Advisors to enable them to carry out their advisory and coordinating roles.
Terms of Reference
Steering Committee Co-Chair Message
Heather Thiessen, Co-Chair of Regional Client and Family Centred Care Steering Committee
Heather Thiessen has been a patient in our healthcare system for the past 30 years. Dealing with two chronic neurological conditions, Multiple Sclerosis and Myasthenia Gravis, she has seen the good and bad in health care.
In her 8th year as an Patient and Family Advisor. Heather has partnered in numerous improvement events and has worked on the Brain Health and Critical Care Patient and Family Advisory Councils. She finds her greatest reward and impact is sharing her stories with health sciences students, embedding the patient journey to help them see the important role they play.
Heather has been invited to speak at numerous conferences both nationally and internationally about her journey in healthcare and how the voice of the patient should be front and centre. She has also collaborated with Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement, Canadian Institute for Healthcare Information, Canada Infoway and most recently with Health Standards Organization and Accreditation Canada as a patient surveyor.
Heather also mentors many healthcare students about the patient journey to help the students understand the culture change required achieve a Patient and Family Centred Care healthcare.
Heather is a strong champion for Patient and Family Centred Care and is so excited to work with fellow advisors in making sure the patient and family voice is not only heard but fully integrated in healthcare to improve the patient experience.