Saskatoon Health Region is committed to a client- and family-centred approach to care and recognizes that families and guests play an important role in the health and well-being of patients during hospitalization. As such, we encourage patients to visit with their families and guests to the degree they feel comfortable.
Families and Guests
We ask that families and guests respect the following guidelines when visiting patients:
- Families and guests are welcome 24 hours a day according to patient preference.
- The number of people welcome at the bedside at any one time will be determined in collaboration with the patient, family and inter-professional care team. In situations where the room is shared, this discussion will include the other patient and his/her family. To ensure safety, consideration will also be given to the physical limitations of the space.
- Families and guests may be asked to follow patient safety and security protocols.
- Alternative guests (such as pets and/or animal-assisted therapy) must be pre-arranged with the inter-professional team.
- Families and guests who are feeling unwell, have an infection, have symptoms of respiratory illness or have flu-like illnesses should not come to a healthcare facility.
- If an outbreak of infection requires restrictions for public health, staff will collaborate with the patient and family to enable and ensure that selected family members are still welcome to visit the patient.
- For the safety of the patient, families and guests are required to perform hand hygiene with soap and water, or alcohol-based hand rub, upon entering and leaving the patient's room.
- Children (younger than 14 years) are welcome if supervised by an adult who is not the patient.
- There may be interruptions to family and guest presence to protect the privacy rights of other patients or to maintain safety and security. Patients, families and guests are asked to help protect the privacy rights of other patients and their families and guests.
- Families and guests are welcome to bring scent-free, latex-free gifts for the patient. Please ask staff before bringing any food items.
Families and guests are asked to act in the best interest of the patient by ensuring that the patient has time for rest, privacy and personal care.
See our Specialized Wards page for more information on visitation.